Sunday, September 30, 2018

Dark Angels Primaris HQ


I've had the Dark Imperium box set since the day it came out, but hadn't done much with it, other than build all of the Death Guard stuff (to sell on), and one Intercessor, just to see what it would look like. However, I have taken a break from the Warhound Scout Titan I've been painting to try and get the contents of Dark Imperium out of the way, as I have a whole bunch of other Primaris stuff still in the boxes that I'd also like to start.

Now, I know that the Primaris Marines are a divisive subject, and although I think they were a little bit shoehorned into the storyline, I have to say that I really like them, at least from an aesthetics point of view, to the point that the rest of my Dark Angels (entire 3rd Company plus lots of supporting units) probably won't be getting much love from me - sorry guys, but the new Marines just do it better! They are sized how I always thought they should be (in comparison to regular humans), the weapons look cool, the armour is more refined, and because they're new (digital) sculpts, the design and plastic is so much nicer and fresher, especially as some of the old Marines are looking incredibly tired - how long have we had that Azrael model for?!

I've come up with a quicker than usual painting scheme that revolves around an airbrush basecoat for the armour and furniture of the firearms, with brushed in details on everything else. I have gone against the trend that I had with all my other Dark Angels and decided against the extreme line highlighting - to be honest I actually think the effect is a bit goofy, and time consuming - it was the part of painting a miniature that I always disliked.  I plan to do a step-by-step guide as I build and paint the rest of my Primaris stuff. Until then, please enjoy these photographs of the Captain, Lieutenants and the solitary Intercessor:




2 comments:

  1. Looks like a really nice paint scheme, the green looks great. I agree with you on the Primaris marines; I'm not the biggest fan of the background, but the models are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I’m currently working on four Intercessors to join the single one shown here.

    I think we’re both part of the many who have that opinion, although disappointingly there is also lot of hate for the newest of the Emperor’s finest.

    ReplyDelete